[Numpy-discussion] Silent DeprecationWarnings under Python 2.7 onwards

Wed Sep 15 08:28:37 CDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Peter <
numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
> NumPy currently makes extensive use of the DeprecationWarning
> class to alert users when some feature is going to be withdrawn.
> However, as of Python 2.7, the DeprecationWarning is silent by
> default, see:
> http://docs.python.org/library/warnings.html#updating-code-for-new-versions-of-python
> This makes sense to me for deprecation warnings from Python
> itself or the standard library - after all, Python 2.7 is the last of the
> Python 2.x series.

The reason for the change is explained in the paragraph you link to, 2.7
being the final minor release in the 2.x series isn't it.

There are many other packages/programs built on numpy, the user/developer
distinction can be made in the same way as for Python itself. I fail to see
a reason not to follow the lead of the Python core developers here.