[Numpy-discussion] the build and installation process

Fri Aug 26 16:52:52 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM, srean <srean.list@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>  I would like to know a bit about how the installation process works. Could
> you point me to a resource. In particular I want to know how the site.cfg
> configuration works. Is it numpy/scipy specific or is it standard with
> distutils. I googled for site.cfg and distutils but did not find any
> authoritative document.

There is not much more than what's described in the site.cfg.example file
that's in the numpy source tree root dir. As far as I know the site.cfg name
is numpy specific, but python distutils uses a distutils.cfg file in the
same format.

> I believe many new users trip up on the installation process, especially in
> trying to substitute their favourite library in place os the standard. So a
> canonical document explaining the process will be very helpful.
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/install.html

The most up-to-date descriptions for each OS can be found at

> does cover some of the important points but its a bit sketchy, and has a
> "this is all that you need to know" flavor. Doesnt quite enable the reader
> to fix his own problems. So a resource that is somewhere in between reading
> up all the sources that get invoked during the installation and building,
> and the current install document will be very welcome.
> English is not my native language, but if there is anyway I can help, I
> would do so gladly.

If the above docs don't help as much as you'd want, please point out the
most problematic points. The install instructions are a wiki so you can make
changes yourself. Especially about things like linking to specific versions
of MKL there's not enough or outdated info, any contributions there will be
very useful.