[Numpy-discussion] Enhancements and bug fix for npyio

Derek Homeier derek@astro.physik.uni-goettingen...
Sat Jun 18 11:56:59 CDT 2011

in my experience numbers loaded from text files very often require
identical conversion for all data (e.g. parsing Fortran-style double
precision, or German vs. English decimals...).
Yet loadtxt and genfromtxt in such cases require the user to construct
a dictionary of converters for every single data column,  a task that
could be easily handled within the routines. I am therefore putting up
a patch for testing that allows users to specify a
default converter for all input data as "converters={-1: conv}" (or
alternatively {'all': conv}, leaving that open to discussion).
Please test the changeset (still lacking tests for the new option) at
which also contains some bug fixes to handle complex input.

Awaiting your comments,