Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Jun 24 09:43:20 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 09:33, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The alternative proposal would be to add a few new dtypes that are
>> NA-aware. E.g. an nafloat64 would reserve a particular NaN value
>> (there are lots of different NaN bit patterns, we'd just reserve one)
>> that would represent NA. An naint32 would probably reserve the most
>> negative int32 value (like R does). Using the NA-aware dtypes signals
>> that you are using NA values; there is no need for an additional flag.
> Definitely better names than r-int32. Going this way has the advantage of
> reducing the friction between R and numpy, and since R has pretty much
> become the standard software for statistics that is an important
> consideration.

I would definitely steal their choices of NA value for naint32 and
nafloat64. I have reservations about their string NA value (i.e. 'NA')
as anyone doing business in North America and other continents may
have issues with that....

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco