[Numpy-discussion] Array views

srean srean.list@gmail....
Sat Mar 26 12:32:24 CDT 2011

 I am also interested in this. In my application there is a large 2d array,
lets call it 'b' to keep the notation consistent in the thread.  b's
columns need to be recomputed often. Ideally this re-computation happens in
a function. Lets call that function updater(b, col_index): The simplest
example is where
updater(b, col_index) is a matrix vector multiply, where the matrix or the
vector changes.

 Is there anyway apart from using ufuncs that I can make updater() write the
result directly in b and not create a new temporary column that is then
copied into b ?  Say for the matrix vector multiply example.
I can write the matrix vector product in terms of ufuncs but will lose out
in terms of speed.

In the best case scenario I would like to maintain 'b' in a csr sparse
matrix form, as 'b' participates in a matrix vector multiply. I think csr
would be asking for too much, but even ccs should help.  I dont want to
clutter this thread with the sparsity issues though, any solution to the
original question or pointers to solutions would be appreciated.