[Numpy-discussion] Array views

Sturla Molden sturla@molden...
Mon Mar 28 10:17:43 CDT 2011

Den 28.03.2011 14:28, skrev Dag Sverre Seljebotn:
> Sure, I realize that it is not standard. I'm mostly wondering whether
> major Fortran compilers support working with strided memory in practice
> (defined as you won't get out-of-memory-errors when passing around huge
> strided array subset).

On 64-bit systems one could also use virtual memory (re)mapping for
this, i.e. a contiguous block of virtual memory could alias a strided
block of virtual memory, avoiding a local copy. That could be convinient
for passing huge arrays to Fortran 77 subroutines, e.g. LAPACK, for
which most implementations require arrays to be contiguous.