[Numpy-discussion] Memory hungry reduce ops in Numpy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Nov 15 11:57:14 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 16:55, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 05:46:52PM +0100, Andreas Müller wrote:
>>    My question was more along the lines of "why doesn't numpy do the online
>>    algorithm".
> It's probably a matter of nobody having had the time and the urge to code
> it, _and_ do all the extra steps necessary to integrate to the core
> numpy: working on n dimensions, suporting all the options of the current
> implementation, doing the tests, doing the docs.
> I don't think that anybody would frown upon a pull request that
> implements a better algorithm. It's just work, as you know given your
> contributions to other project.

Actually, last time I suggested it, it was brought up that the online
algorithms can be worse numerically. I'll try to find the thread.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco