[Numpy-discussion] who owns the data?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 30 15:00:57 CST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 20:30,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> just a basic question (since I haven't looked at this in some time)
> I'm creating a structured array in a function. However, I want to
> return the array with just a simple dtype
> uni = uni.view(dt).reshape(-1, ncols)
> return uni
> the returned uni has owndata=False. Who owns the data, since the
> underlying, original array went out of scope?

Every time you make a view through .view(), slicing, .T, certain
restricted .reshape() calls , etc. a reference to the original object
is stored on the view. Consequently, the original object does not get
garbage collected until all of the views go away too. Making view of a
view just adds another link in the chain. In your example, the
original object that was assigned to `uni` before that last assignment
statement was executed maintains ownership of the memory. The new
ndarray object that gets assigned to `uni` for the return statement
refers to the temporary ndarray returned by .view() which in turn
refers to the original `uni` array which owns the actual memory.

> 2)
> uni.dtype = dt
> uni.reshape(-1, ncols)
> return uni
> this works and uni owns the data.

uni.reshape() doesn't reshape `uni` inplace, though. It is possible
that your `uni` array wasn't contiguous to begin with. In all of the
cases that your first example would have owndata=False, this one
should too.

> I'm only worried whether assigning
> to dtype directly is not a dangerous thing to do.

It's no worse than .view(dt). The same kind of checking goes on in both places.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco