[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Tue Apr 24 18:28:50 CDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:

> Hi,
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/4/24 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>
>>> Why are we having a discussion on NAN's in a thread on consensus?
>>> This is a strong indicator of the problem we're facing.
>> We seem to have a consensus regarding interest in the topic.
> This email is mainly to Travis.
> This thread seems to be dying, condemning us to keep repeating the
> same conversation with no result.
> Chuck has made it clear he is not interested in this conversation.
> Until it is clear you are interested in this conversation, it will
> keep dying.   As you know, I think that will be very bad for numpy,
> and, as you know, I care a great deal about that.

I am interested in the conversation, but I think I've already stated my views as well as I know how.   I'm not sure what else I should do at this point.    We do need consensus (defined as the absence of serious objectors) for me to agree to a NumPy 1.X release.

I don't think it helps us get to a consensus to further discuss non-technical issues at this point.

There is much interest in ideas for finding common ground in the masked array situation, but that should happen on another thread.