[Numpy-discussion] Licensing question

Damon McDougall damon.mcdougall@gmail....
Wed Aug 8 03:37:02 CDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:55:32AM +0100, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Those are not the original Fortran sources. The original Fortran sources are
> > in the public domain as work done by a US federal employee.
> >
> > http://www.netlib.org/fftpack/
> >
> > Never trust the license of any code on John Burkardt's site. Track it down
> > to the original sources.
> Taken together, what those websites seem to be claiming is that you
> have a choice of buggy BSD code or fixed GPL code? I assume someone
> has already taken the appropriate measures for numpy, but it seems
> like an unfortunate situation...
> -n

Wow. I'd like to thank everyone that responded. There were some helpful

For what it's worth, I decided not to use numpy's fft code, nor
libfftpack. I decided to use kissFFT instead since it has support for
multidimensional transforms.

However, I did decided to use numpy's random number routines. It didn't
take me long to package it up and the advice given here was still

Thanks again.

Damon McDougall
Mathematics Institute
University of Warwick