[Numpy-discussion] Creating parallel curves

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana@gmail....
Sun Feb 12 14:26:03 CST 2012

On 12 February 2012 21:00, Charles R Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Andrea Gavana <andrea.gavana@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>    my apologies for my deep ignorance about math stuff; I guess I
>> should be able to find this out but I keep getting impossible results.
>> Basically I have a set of x, y data (around 1,000 elements each) and I
>> want to create 2 parallel "curves" (offset curves) to the original
>> one; "parallel" means curves which are displaced from the base curve
>> by a constant offset, either positive or negative, in the direction of
>> the curve's normal. Something like this:
> Note that curves produced in this way aren't actually 'parallel' and can
> even cross themselves.

I know, my definition of "parallel" was probably not orthodox enough.
What I am looking for is to generate 2 curves that look "graphically
parallel enough" to the original one, and not "parallel" in the true
mathematical sense.