Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Fri Feb 17 19:54:01 CST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I don't think c++ has any significant advantage over c for high
>> performance libraries. I am not convinced by the number of people argument
>> either: it is not my experience that c++ is easier to maintain in a open
>> source context, where the level of people is far from consistent. I doubt
>> many people did not contribute to numoy because it is in c instead if c++.
>> While this is somehow subjective, there are reasons that c is much more
>> common than c++ in that context.
> I think C++ offers much better tools than C for the sort of things in Numpy.
> The compiler will take care of lots of things that now have to be hand
> crafted and I wouldn't be surprised to see the code size shrink by a
> significant factor.
>> I would much rather move most part to cython to solve subtle ref counting
>> issues, typically.
> Not me, I'd rather write most stuff in C/C++ than Cython, C is cleaner ;)
> Cython good for the Python interface, but once past that barrier C is
> easier, and C++ has lots of useful things.

Maybe a straw poll of the number of recent contributors to numpy who know:

would help resolve this.

I suspect using C++ would reduce the number of people who feel able to
contribute, compared to:

Simplifying the C code
Rewriting in Cython

Unless there is some reason to think that neither of these approaches
would work in the particular case of numpy?