[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7 release delays

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Jun 26 21:07:26 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use anything else besides Travis CI?
> Yes, we use both Shining Panda and Travis CI:
> https://jenkins.shiningpanda.com/ipython/
> http://travis-ci.org/#!/ipython/ipython
> The SP setup is more complete, including Mac and Windows bots.
>> I donated money to them and they enabled pull request
>> testing for SymPy and it's invaluable. We also use
>> our custom sympy-bot (https://github.com/sympy/sympy-bot) to test pull
>> request, but now
>> when Travis can do that, we might just use that.
> We have a version of that: after Aaron Meurer gave us an invaluable
> and detailed report on how you guys used it, Thomas Kluyver built for
> us our new test_pr script:
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/tools/test_pr.py
> which we regularly use now in most PRs, e.g.:
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2015#issuecomment-6566387
> It has proven to be *extremely* useful.
> This is some of the infrastructure that I hope we'll gradually start
> using across all the projects (the topic of some of the threads in the
> numfocus list).  In IPython, our ability to rapidly absorb code has
> improved tremendously in part thanks to the smooth workflow these
> tools give us; just in the month of June we've merged 116 PRs totaling
> over 400 commits:
> (master)dreamweaver[ipython]> git log --oneline --since 2012-06-01 |
> grep "Merge pull request" | wc -l
> 116
> (master)dreamweaver[ipython]> git log --oneline --since 2012-06-01 | wc -l
> 438
> There's no way to keep that pace unless we can really trust our
> testing machinery to let us know what's safe by the time we get to
> code review.
> As our tools mature, I really hope we'll start using them more across
> different projects, because the benefit they provide is undeniable.

We (nipy'ers) are heavy users of numpy and scipy.

We use travis-ci for testing individual commits to personal repos:

(using standard travis-ci python test machinery, multiple python versions)

(using a hack to test against a system python, to avoid multiple
compiles of numpy / scipy).  We've also been discussing numpy / scipy
compiles on the Travis-CI mailing list :

For the main repos we use buildbot and test on:

Ubuntu Maverick 32-bit
Debian sid 64-bit
OSX 10.4 PPC
OSX 10.5 Intel
Debian wheezy PPC
Debian squeeze ARM (a Raspberry PI no less)
WIndows XP 32 bit
SPARC (courtesy of our friends at NeuroDebian)

We've found several issues with numpy using these, and I've fed them
back as I found them,

They are particularly useful for difficult to reproduce problems
because they test often and leave a record that we can point to.  As
I've said before, y'all are welcome to use these machines for numpy
builds / tests.