[Numpy-discussion] Numpy fitting

Pierre Barthelemy barthpi@gmail....
Thu Mar 1 09:24:47 CST 2012

Dear all,

i am writing a program for data analysis. One of the functions of this
program gives the possibility to fit the functions. I followed the recipe
described in : http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/FittingData<http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/FittingData>
the section "Simplifying the syntax".

To fit, i use the function:

out=optimize.leastsq(f, p, full_output=1)

where f is my function and p a list of parameters.

One thing that i would like to know is how can i get the error on the
parameters ? From what i understood from the "Cookbook" page, and from the
scipy manual (
the second argument returned by the leastsq function gives access to these

The param_errors that i get in this case are extremely small. Much smaller
than what i expected, and much smaller than what i can get fitting the
function with matlab. So i guess i made an error here.

Can someone tell me how i should do to retrieve the parameter errors ?

PS: i got the impression something went wrong with my previous message,
sorry for that.