[Numpy-discussion] use for missing (ignored) data?

Wed Mar 7 14:17:49 CST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering what is the use for the ignored data feature?
> I can use:
> A[valid_A_indexes] = whatever
> to process only the 'non-ignored' portions of A.  So at least some simple
> cases
> of ignored data are already supported without introducing a new type.
> w = A[valid_A_indexes]
> will copy A's data, and subsequent use of
> w[:] = something
> will not update A.
> Is this the reason for wanting the ignored data feature?

Suppose you are working with plotted data and want to turn points on/off by
clicking on them interactively to see how that affects a fit. Why make
multiple copies, change sizes, destroy data, and all that nonsense? Just
have the click update the mask and redraw.