[Numpy-discussion] Trouble building NumPy on PPC64

Andreas H. lists@hilboll...
Mon Mar 19 12:45:44 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I have troube installing numpy in a virtual environment on a SuSE
Enterprise 11 server (ppc64).

Here is what I did:

    curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/virtualenv/master/virtualenv.py
    python virtualenv.py --distribute --no-site-packages .virtualenvs/pydoas
    source .virtualenvs/pydoas/bin/activate
    pip install numpy

And here is the outcome:

    SystemError: Cannot compile 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install

However, Python.h exists, because I did install the python-devel package:

    (pydoas)hilboll@odin:~/.virtualenvs/pydoas/build/numpy> find
/usr/include/ | grep Python.h

I also tried without the --distribute --no-site-packages flags, with the
same result.

Any hints are very welcome :)