[Numpy-discussion] Use OpenBLAS for the binary releases?

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Wed Nov 21 09:29:16 CST 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:
> On 21.11.2012 15:55, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> I think the point is that it's easy for programmers to decide to avoid
>> GCD if they want to use multiprocessing. But it's not so easy for them
>> to decide to avoid BLAS.
> Actually the answer from Apple was that no API except POSIX is supported
> on both sides of a fork without calling exec.
> That certainly affects more than the GCD.

Yes, but still only the Apple-specific APIs like Cocoa, Core Audio,
etc. The bottom line is that a script that runs on Linux will almost
certainly run on OS X... unless it uses BLAS and your numpy is linked
to Accelerate. numpy linking to Accelerate breaks things.