[Numpy-discussion] Mysterious test_pareto failure on Travis

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Tue Sep 4 15:37:35 CDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I made this:
>>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/424
>>> It was me who updated the Cython file. It seemed to be working. I've
>>> added the issue
>>> to the release TODO.
>> Ok, here is how to reproduce the problem:
>> 1) install my numpy-vendor vagrant image (32 bit Ubuntu), as directed
>> in the README:
>> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor
>> 2) run tests, you'll get:
>> https://gist.github.com/3625509
> So the problem was actually introduced much earlier. Most probably it
> has never worked
> in 32bit Ubuntu 12.04. I tried for example this old commit:
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/3882d65c42acf6d5fff8cc9b3f410bb3e49c8af8
> and it still fails:
> But in any case, this seems to be a problem with the actual 32bit
> Ubuntu 12.04 itself. So maybe something in gcc
> has changed that now triggers the problem.

To be clear, the mismatching value is:

> /home/njs/numpy/.tox/py27/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/random/tests/test_random.py(363)test_pareto()
-> np.testing.assert_array_almost_equal(actual, desired, decimal=15)
(Pdb) actual[1, 0]
(Pdb) desired[1, 0]

So they do match to 14 decimal points, and it's entirely possible that
this is just a problem of the test being too stringent in requiring 15
decimal points of match. Maybe the 32-bit GCC is spilling registers
differently, tripping the famous x86 idiosyncrasy where register
spilling triggers rounding. But I'd feel better if someone familiar
with the pareto code could confirm.