[Numpy-discussion] Automatic custom dtype

Richard Hattersley rhattersley@gmail....
Fri Jun 21 08:09:53 CDT 2013

Hi all,

In my continuing adventures in the Land of Custom Dtypes I've come
across some rather disappointing behaviour in 1.7 & 1.8.

I've defined my own class `Time360`, and a corresponding dtype
`time360` which references Time360 as its scalar type.

Now with 1.6.2 I can do:
>>> t = Time360(2013, 6, 29)
>>> np.array([t]).dtype

And since all the instances supplied to the function were instances of
the scalar type for my dtype, numpy automatically created an array
using my dtype. Happy days!

But in 1.7 and 1.8 I get:
>>> np.array([t]).dtype

So now I just get a plain old object array. Boo! Hiss!

Is this expected? Desirable? An unwanted regression?