[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Aldcroft, Thomas aldcroft at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 4 11:43:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 6:13 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I would be in favour of dropping 3.3, but not 2.6 until it becomes too
>> > cumbersome to support.
>> >
>> > As a data point, as of april, 2.6 was more downloaded than all python
>> 3.X
>> > versions together when looking at pypi numbers:
>> > https://caremad.io/2015/04/a-year-of-pypi-downloads/
>>
>> I'm not sure what's up with those numbers though -- they're *really*
>> unrepresentative of what we see for numpy otherwise. E.g. they show
>> 3.X usage as ~5%, but for numpy, 3.x usage has risen past 25%.
>> (Source: 'vanity numpy', looking at OS X wheels b/c they're
>> per-version and unpolluted by CI download spam. Unfortunately this
>> doesn't provide numbers for 2.6 b/c we don't ship 2.6 binaries.) For
>> all we know all those 2.6 downloads are travis builds testing projects
>> on 2.6 to make sure they keep working because there are so many 2.6
>> downloads on pypi :-). Which isn't an argument for dropping 2.6
>> either, I just wouldn't put much weight on that blog post either
>> way...
>>

> I agree pypi is only one data point. The proportion is also package
> dependent (e.g. django had higher proportion of python 3.X). It is just
> that having multiple data points is often more useful than guesses

I agree that PyPI numbers appear to be dominated by something other than
user downloads.  As a concrete indication of usage statistics, Tom
Robitaille did a survey earlier this year which showed that about 2% of
respondents were running Python 2.6:

http://astrofrog.github.io/blog/2015/05/09/2015-survey-results/

Astropy is planning to drop support for Python 2.6 in the next major
release (1.2) which is scheduled for about 6 months from now.

- Tom