linalg2 is back (Re: [SciPy-dev] Re: Linalg2)

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at
Mon Mar 25 16:37:59 CST 2002

On Monday 25 March 2002 03:20 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> > On Monday 25 March 2002 01:41 pm, you wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Pearu,
> >
> > I noticed you changed the name of  back to
> >

> > Did you fix the problem with distutils confusing linalg/
> > with linalg2/ ?
> Well, I thought I fixed it by importing linalg2.interface_gen but
> obviously it fails (it worked for me when I built linalg2 locally, if I
> remove local build, then I get the import error).
> I'll try to figure out how to fix this without renaming
> If we would be forced to rename local files then it would indicate a bad
> design, I think. Two completely different packages may have files with
> the same names and there should be no naming conflicts.

I have a semi-hack which works.

I just put a try-except around import (the setup doesn't need in
the file for linalg2.

This seems to work.

Finally, it looks like my installation is working again.  Thanks for your