[SciPy-dev] [ANN] imv.py: 3D plots with MayaVi: Important bug fix.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue May 13 14:34:46 CDT 2003

This is to announce a newer version of imv.py that fixes a few
important and pretty bad bugs.

 May 7, 2003: Added support to use surf on an existing MayaVi window.
 May 8, 2003: Fixed bad bugs in sampler function.  The broadcasting
 was wrong, the return value needed to be transposed and the y array
 also needed broadcasting in case the function did not depend on x.
 Thanks to Prof. Ramakrishna for bringing this to my attention.

Essentially, surf based plots would have their X and Y's swapped since
the array was not being transposed before being displayed.  For
symmetric functions this would not be an issue at all.  There was also
a problem when different sized x and y arrays were given.  Finally the
new version can create a plot on an existing window.

I'm sorry that these errors crept up but I was not using the module
enough to catch the error and the error was brought to my notice just
this week.

imv.py is available here:

or here:

About imv.py:

  imv.py is a module that lets you sample surfaces and arrays from the
  Python interpreter via convenient one line functions.  It requires
  MayaVi (version 1.2) to be installed and running as a Python module
  i.e. the binary installs will not be able to use this.

p.s. Sorry about the cross posting!