[SciPy-dev] Weave - strange behaviour

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 22 12:39:53 CDT 2004

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>     MM> Hi, I was really excited about weave. But I found a (to me)
>     MM> somewhat strange behaviour, which I do not understand. I used
>     MM> the following code to test weave:
> [...]
>     MM> And it seams that EACH time I call the function the C-code
>     MM> gets compiled. This behavior also showed up depending on the
>     MM> first line of the C-code (line break or not; additionen
>     MM> spaces).
>     MM> Has anyone else seen this? Any idea what is going wrong? How
>     MM> can I prevent this strange behaviour (except try and error)?
> I haven't tested your script but usually wipe out my cache and catalog
> if I run into any wierdness.  Its usually stored in
> ~/.python23_compiled.  Do an rm -rf in that directory and rerun, it
> should hopefully work.

I second that.  I have fixed in the distant past some catalog-related bugs
which were appearing with exactly the behaoviour you mention.  But there may
be more lying around.  And that code is quite tricky, it took me a full day to
track down a single shelve.close() missing call (or similar).  But my fix is
already incorporated, so unless you're running an ancient version the problem
you are seeing is something else.

Unfortunately right now I can't really spend any time on this, and my current
codes are all behaving fine with weave.

> On 2. perhaps a simple wiki page with user examples would help.  I'm
> sure Fernando has several.  I can add a few myself.  However, the
> basic docs (like the weave user guide) would need our weave guru,
> Eric's, attention.

FWIW, here are my examples (attached).  Please note that I wrote these a while
back, and weave has changed some since then.  I post them today only in case
they prove useful to somebody, hopefully soon I'll have time to update them to
current weave (I think some of them currently don't work).