[SciPy-dev] Suggest Trac instead of Plone

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 31 19:30:36 CDT 2005

Tim Cera wrote:
> Hello,
> As I am just starting to use sci-py in a serious way, the topic of how a
> casual developer could help out with patches or features has been a concern
> of mine.  I put this comment on the Plone wiki, which has gone unanswered.
> I have made other suggestions on the wiki, hopeful for some discussion, but
> nothing.

By and large, active discussion happens here while semi-permanent (but
still fluid) information goes up on the Wiki.

> In looking around at wikis for our intranet (for various reasons I chose
> moinmoin) I saw an intriguing system seemingly ideal for software
> development.  It is called Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/).  Since the
> recent conversion to Subversion, it might be an ideal solution.

Enthought is using Trac for the rest of its projects. I'm sure that a
Trac instance for Scipy is on its way. I think there are still some
kinks in the way multiple projects are being hosted, but they're being
worked out using ipython as the guinea pig.

> Trac is also written in Python, and has an intergrated wiki, issue management,
> and Subversion viewer.
> I would also encourage moving to a forum type communication rather than
> mailing lists.

I grew up with USENET and mailing lists, so personally, I hate web
forums. Fortunately, with GMane the people who hate mailing lists can
get a web interface if they so prefer. Does that satisfy your desire for
"forum type communication?"

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter