[SciPy-dev] Python (Enthought Edition) for Windows test release

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 28 20:04:33 CST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

> (Before I begin, I will state that I am not a lawyer; this is not legal
> advice.)
> Which ones? Two of the patents look like they are going to expire this
> summer (assuming the usual 20-year patent term) but not before then. One
> of the patents is still pending.

Oops. I was wrong. The 20-year term wasn't enacted until 1995. Patents
filed before then usually have a 17-year term[1] (Note: this is all
Google-fu, not a legal opinion. If you need one, please retain your own
lawyer and ask him). It looks like Marching Cubes/Squares and Dividing
Cubes *may* be safe to use. I'll look into futzing with the VTK build
process to be able to compile just these classes.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter