[SciPy-dev] 'O' type arrays and containers as values...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:01:45 CST 2005

Hi all,

If I understand things correctly, the following should work fine:

In [3]: import scipy

In [4]: scipy.__core_version__
Out[4]: ''

In [5]: a=scipy.empty((2,2),'O')

In [6]: a[0,0] = (1,2,3)
exceptions.ValueError                                Traceback (most recent
call last)

ValueError: number of elements in destination must be integer multiple of
number of elements in source

Why can't I assign a container (it fails for tuples, lists and arrays) as the
_value_ of an 'O' array?  Note that strings work fine:

In [7]: a[0,0] = '(1,2,3)'

Am I missing something here?  It seems to me that 'O' type arrays should be
able to hold as values arbitrary python objects, no?