[SciPy-dev] how to help scipy development?
arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Nov 16 14:04:54 CST 2005
Nils' question on how to write unit tests for odeint
raises an important point:
How to encourage contributions to scipy?
My impression is that somehow the gap between "end-users"
and developers should be made smaller.
For this it might be helpful to have (detailed)
- which information to provide for bug reports
(a script which generates all the info would be great:
A lot of this is already available via
from f2py2e import diagnose
- how to provide useful information when segfaults occur
(invocation of gdb ...)
- how to add documentation to routines and how to submit these
- how to write unittests
- how to add additional wrappers to lapack (etc.)
- how to provide patches
- how to add new tools to scipy
Some of these points might seem trivial to expert developers,
but can be a significant barrier for newcomers.
In order to not completely bankrupt my opinion/suggestion budget ;-)
I have added some remarks in the other thread on how one could
set up unittests (hope I got that right ...).
More information about the Scipy-dev