[SciPy-dev] Building scipy core on windows

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Nov 16 16:07:25 CST 2005

Travis Brady wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd actually like to try compiling for 2.4 too, is this possible w/o
> Visual Studio (I am using Python 2.4.1 compiled with VS)?
> Maybe with MingW?

Yes, that's what I use.  Get MSYS and MinGW.  Download a binary version
of ATLAS if you want fast linear algebra.  If you don't care, then don't
worry about that part --- the code should still build.

Then, check out the latest SVN tree (Tortoise SVN is an excellent
windows SVN client that makes it easy).   The URL is

You should be able to go into the directory where you placed the tree
and type

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32

to get an installable executable.

Alternatively, to avoid all the --compiler=xxxxx noise you can create
(or modify if you already have one) a distutils configuration file for
your version of Python.  The file name is

<your python director>\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg

and the contents should contain

compiler = mingw32

compiler = mingw32

On my system