[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Jonathan Guyer guyer at nist.gov
Tue Nov 22 14:05:10 CST 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 4:00 PM, I wrote:

>  regardless, pysparse is BSD
> licensed, so it's perfectly legal to use his code to improve
> scipy.sparse (assuming that rigorous benchmarking determines that there
> are, in fact, improvements to be made). We'll do some tests and, if a
> merge is warranted, we'll run it by Roman out of courtesy.

I've finally done some benchmarking of scipy.sparse and PySparse and
posted my results and comments on plone[*]:

Bottom line is that, with a couple of exceptions, PySparse is both
faster and less memory intensive than SciPy. I don't know whether
anything can be lifted from PySparse to improve SciPy's implementation.

[*] Not that this comes as a surprise to anybody here, but the SciPy
plone wiki is scary slow. I also couldn't get it to accept reST, even
though I've seen other people using it there.
Jonathan E. Guyer, PhD
Metallurgy Division