[SciPy-dev] Getting SciPy ready for New Core

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 5 22:29:06 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I've been cleaning up the setup scripts for new scipy.
> I'm "done" with io and am onto special.
> I'd like to test for the existence of certain functions and
> conditionally compile some of the code, very similar to what was done in
> setup.py of scipy.base
> Now, there was a lot of effort there to find the mathlibraries first so
> they could be linked against on a trial run.  Is that information stored
> anywhere so that scipy.disutils.misc_util.get_math_libs()  or something
> can be used?
> It would be really useful, if it were.

For that, you could parse config.h as is done in
scipy/base/setup.py[76:86]. We really do need a general configuration
mechanism that can detect things and save what was detected.

PETSc's BuildSystem does this particularly well. I'll start looking into
integrating its configuration component with distutils.

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

  -- Richard Harter