[SciPy-dev] Thoughts on when to make a full release of SciPy Core

Christopher Hanley chanley at stsci.edu
Wed Oct 12 14:11:52 CDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>I've been thinking about when to make a full release of SciPy Core.
>>This is what I think needs to be done (in random order):
>>* Get full scipy working on top of it.
>>* Get records.py working.

We at STScI have started working on the records.py port.  I don't want
to make a promise as to when this will be completed.  I should have a
better idea within the next week or so.

>>* Get ma.py (Masked Arrays) working well.
>>* Write some tests for fft, linear algebra, and random code
>>* Port memory-mapped module from numarray.
>>Would like to have done (but not essential for first release):
>>* Fix scalar_as_number implementations to not go through ufuncs
>>* Optimizations
>   * Port nd_image

If you see the porting of records and nd_image as bottle necks in terms
of getting a full release of SciPy Core done quickly, you may want to
consider doing a two stage release.

Release 1.0 could be billed as being fully Numeric compatible.  The 2.0
release would be with the complete set of numarray features.

Christopher Hanley
Senior Software Engineer
Space Telescope Science Institute
3700 San Martin Drive