[SciPy-dev] "branching" a package inside scipy ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:04:13 CST 2006

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>     It is a bit OT, but I would like to know if it is possible to
> "branch" a package under scipy hierarchy. Specifically, I am about to
> change heavily some internal of my toolbox pyem in the sandbox, which
> may involve some changes of scipy.clusters (I would wait for approval
> for committing the changes once done of course), but I would like to
> continue fixing some bugs and so on in the trunk.
>     Is this possible for someone with write access to scipy SVN ?

Certainly. Here is a brief outline on how to do it. I recommend ignoring most of
the first half, which describes the manual procedure, and using the svnmerge.py
tool that I describe in the latter half. It simplifies the process immensely.

All of the examples there branch the whole trunk. The only change you have to
make is to use the URL directly to the cluster/ directory:

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco