[SciPy-dev] integration of Unum in scipy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:20:15 CST 2006

DE MENTEN Sebastien wrote:

> I think the author (Pierre Denis) could change his mind and the license
> as he does not feel too strong about it (it was more a default choice if
> I remember correctly). Anyway, in case of positive answer I will ask him
> permission for both the integration and the license change.
> The question is more about a formal integration in scipy:
>  a) The code is mature, clearly written and not huge (engine code is 600
> loc and unit definitions code is 1 loc per unit). Its integration should
> not be a big deal.
>  b) The package nicely fills a gap in the scientific toolkit.
> Hence, is the license the only problem?

Somewhat. Personally, I have Issues with all existing unit packages mostly
summarized by how they handle (or don't handle) temperatures. We've discussed
this before. Start here:

The package that probably gets it right is enthought.units (disclosure: I work
for Enthought). It is an extended version of Michael Aivazis' pyre.units package
which implements some logic for intelligently handling temperature scales among
lots of other things. OTOH, I haven't reviewed it thoroughly or used it in anger.

Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter