[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Jan 3 01:35:17 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>Well, here's my dying gasp in battle :)
Perhaps I can channel you a bit, if you are dead...

>My idea of ndarray is simply to keep the pure array functionality fairly
>standalone, thinking of potential inclusion of that part in the python core at
>some point, or of the needs of embedders, py2exe, py2app users, etc.  I never
>thought that a user would ever do
>from numerix.ndarray import ...
>because we'd have, in the numerix __init__ file,
>__all__ = numerix.__all__ + ['more','stuff']
Great  (assuming you mean __all__ = ndarray.__all__ + ...  ;-)  )

That's what I'm thinking, too.  But should we clobber the
numerix.ndarray *sub-package* with the numerix.ndarray.ndarray
*object*.   Isn't that the kind of thing we are trying to avoid doing?
So, that somebody could do import numerix.ndarray if they were pedantic?