[SciPy-dev] Leaning toward numpy

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Jan 4 00:45:22 CST 2006

Hi everyone,

Well, the naming game has got to end soon.  My semester starts soon and
I've got to get a release out.  I'm leaning toward numpy for several

1) It has history --- and therefore a web-domain name, and a sourceforge
site.  Googling for numpy already returns stuff about Python and numbers.
2) Currently both numarray and Numeric are under the sourceforge site,
numpy could go there without difficulty and lead out as a merger of the two.
3) We've been using the concept of numpy for a long time, but never the

I know it's not cool like naja would be, but it is descriptive and
carries with it marketing power already.   If you can come up with
arguments as to why numpy is a *terrible* choice, please send them in