Re: [SciPy-dev] [Slightly OT] Karl Fogel's “Producing Open Source Software”

David M. Cooke cookedm at
Mon Jan 9 06:36:14 CST 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 11:50 , Fernando Perez wrote:

> Hi all,
> a few months ago, Robert Kern recommended this book:
> Producing Open Source Software
> How to Run a Successful Free Software Project
> By Karl Fogel
> and I've found it to be a very useful collection of tips and ideas
> regarding
> the running of an OSS project.  A review came out today
> which made me think this might be of interest to some in our
> group.  While I
> think that scipy in general is running great, there are many good
> ideas in
> that book in terms of things to keep in mind to make the
> environment around a
> project operate better.

Is there anything in particular you'd suggest? I've had a quick look
before, and the thing that stuck to me was code review. I think
something like a checkins list would help cover that. I'd also like
an RSS feed of checkins, b/c I check those a lot :). I think there's
a plugin for Trac (0.9 at least) that'll do that...