[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Conversion about getting array interface into Python

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:08:23 CST 2006

On 10/30/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> If anybody has a desire to see the array interface into Python, please
> help by voicing an opinion on python-dev in the discussion about adding
> data-type objects to Python.   There are a few prominent people who
> don't get why applications would need to share data-type information
> about memory areas.  I need help giving reasons why.
> -Travis

Python-Dev is sometimes a hard place to get into. I remember posting
some proposals or even bugs (considered bugs for me and others) and
getting rather crude responses.

Travis said "a few prominent people...". I consider Travis a *very*
prominent people in Python world. His **terrific** contribution to
NumPy reveals a really smart, always-looking-ahead way of doing
things. However, I've seen before strong and disparate opposition to
his proposals in Python-Dev. Perhaps the reason for this is simple:
few Python core developers are involved in scientific computing and do
not have a clear idea of what it is needed for this.

I really believe that NumPy/Scipy community should try to raise his
voice on Python-Dev. Many NumPy/Scipy users/developers really want to
run high-performance Python code. Python is being used in
supercomputers, some applications taking advantage of Python (SPaSM)
have even won the Gordon Bell Performance Prize. An 25 Tflop/s
application involving Python programing language is really a good
example of what can be achieved with Python and compiled code

In short, I fully support Travis in his initiative to standardize
access to low level binary data, and encourage others like me who
really want this to post to Python-Dev. From my part, I will try to
post my reasons in connection with my (small) experience developing
MPI for Python.

Lisandro Dalcín
Tel/Fax: +54-(0)342-451.1594