[SciPy-dev] Intro / Docstrings

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 23:19:28 CDT 2006

Greg Willden wrote:
> Hello all,
> The FAQ says if you want to help out drop you line.  Here is my line:
> I'm pretty new to numpy/scipy but I've been using Python for a while now.
> I have a long history of Matlab use but I'm gradually weaning myself.
> I would like to contribute to this project by adding a few things to the
> docstrings that will help new people like myself get their bearings.  I
> love Python and would really like to get really good with
> numpy/scipy/matplotlib.

Wonderful! Welcome!

> I want to see more "See also:" portions on the end of the docstrings.
> This is something that Matlab does well that makes it easy to learn
> about new, related functions.
> What is the best way for me to contribute?

This is a good way to start. If you want to start with actual code, we still
have quite a ways to go with the "Statistics Review" that I started too long ago.

There are plenty of bite-sized things to do in cleaning up scipy.stats .

> Whom would I submit patches to?  This list or an individual?

We use the Trac bug-tracking system for numpy and scipy. You will need to
register accounts for them due to spammers.

After you do that, click on "New Ticket" in the upper right-hand corner.
Describe your changes and submit the ticket. After the ticket is created, there
will be an "Attach file" button which you can use to add your patch.

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco