[SciPy-dev] SciPy improvements

Thu Apr 12 21:53:56 CDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I don't know if you were serious or not, but Matlab still has a huge
> amount of inertia and a very good network effect going for it.  Plus
> many more years of development behind it than numpy.  You're much more
> likely to be able to find random algorithms on the net implemented in
> Matlab than in Python/Numpy, that is if you even need to go looking,
> because a lot of stuff is already in Matlab to begin with.
> So while I personally agree that Numpy is better than Matlab codewise,
> a code in the hand beats two in the bush.  I'd be very happy to drop
> Matlab completely if you could just port the NetLab
> (http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/netlab/) and a few other things for me.
Well, netlab is a huge package, but google just announced that my SoC
projet pymachine, a set of toolboxes for machine learning-related
algorithms, has been accepted:

http://code.google.com/soc/psf/appinfo.html?csaid=44CD86A83707638A (the
full proposal can be found there:

So expect some news (and more importantly, some code) on this front in
the coming months,