[SciPy-dev] petsc - UMFPACK and scipy

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Fri Apr 13 06:32:53 CDT 2007

Robert Cimrman wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>> Please can you show me an example where petsc solvers are "better" than
> Petsc is really a superpackage providing many parallel linear solvers
> (iterative, direct, preconditioners, ...) together with nonlinear
> solvers, time steppers, etc. The solvers can be both petsc-native or
> external packages, nevertheless all are accessed via a uniform
> interface. IMHO UMFPACK is one of the optional external solvers petsc
> can use, so to answer your question, petsc can do anything that UMFPACK
> does and much more.
> r.
The current UMFPACK version is 5.0.3. Which versions are supported by
scipy ?
As I mentioned in a previous email I still have trouble to install other
versions than 4.4.
Any pointer, how to install more recent versions of UMFPACK, would be

When you are talking about superpackages how about Sundials ?

AFAIK the ode  solvers in scipy cannot handle events and a DAE solver is
also missing in scipy.

Are there plans to add this functionality to scipy (in the form of
scikits) ?