[SciPy-dev] BVP solver and dependence on Fortran 90/95

Neilen Marais nmarais@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 23 11:52:08 CDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:31:16 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:

> John Travers wrote:

>> My question is: what is the policy on scipy modules depending on
>> Fortran 90/95 code. There currently doesn't appear to be any in the
>> repository. However with the availability of gfortran now broadening
>> and the fact that most (all?) commercial compilers now have full
>> support, is it any longer a problem (putting aside f2py support)?
> Personally, I still don't trust gfortran to be non-buggy.

But presumably those willing to take the risk should be able to use f90/95
modules? I think the sooner we start at least giving people the option to
use gfortran, the sooner gfortran will gain our trust. It will at least
allow gfortan/scipy incompatibilities to surface and allow us to report
problems to the gfortran developers.

I'm a little bit in the dark about the g77/gfortan binary
incompatibility. Does this mean that f90 code compiled with gfortran can't
call f77 code compiled with g77? That would be a pretty sticky situation
for users of distribution packaged libs if the distro is using g77...

you know its kind of tragic
we live in the new world
but we've lost the magic
-- Battery 9 (www.battery9.co.za)