[SciPy-dev] SciPy Sprint results

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Dec 20 00:28:20 CST 2007

Charles R Harris wrote:
>     On Dec 19, 2007 12:52 PM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com
>     <mailto:oliphant@enthought.com>> wrote:

>     >   * NumPy will get a standard binary file format (.npy/.npz) for
>     > arrays/groups_of_arrays.
> Will this new binary format contain endianess/type data? I am a bit
> concerned that we don't yet have a reliable way to distinguish extended
> precision floats from the coming quad precision as they  both tend to
> use 128 bytes on 64 bit machines. Perhaps extended precision should just
> be dropped at some point, especially as it is not particularly portable
> between architectures/compilers.

It uses the dtype.descr to describe the dtype of the array. You can see the
implementation here:

If it has holes, I would like to fix them. Can you point me to some
documentation on the different quad precision formats? Doesn't IEEE-854
standardize this?

There has been some discussion about whether to continue with this format or
attempt to read and write a very tiny subset of HDF5, so don't get too attached
to the format until it hits the trunk. I'll drop some warnings into the code to
that effect.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco