[SciPy-dev] Scikits and stuff

Thu Dec 27 23:00:44 CST 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 8:34 PM, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
>> Given these three purposes.  It seems that we should have three name-spaces:
>> 1) scikits
>> 2) ??? perhaps scigpl
> Loses points for ugly :)
True.  Are there any other names:

How about:

scifree  (as a nod to Free Software Foundation -- although there may be
unintentional negative double entendre).

The point is that it is very useful for users to be able to know that
scikits and scipy and scipydev have a BSD or similar license, but
"scifree" is GPL-like and creates possible encumbrances for people who
use it in their code bases.
>> 3) scipy  (why not use the same namespace --- there is a technological
>> hurdle that may prevent egg distribution of these until we fix it.  But,
>> I think we can fix it and would rather not invent another name-space for
>> something that should be scipy).
> I don't like the idea of the base scipy package being a moving target.
>  Much like the standard library (for any given python version) is a
> known quantity, I'd like scipy to be the same.
I'm fine with calling #3 something like scipydev.  The point is that it
would be good if there were some way for a developer of a Scientific
ToolKit to indicate their intention when they develop it and for others
to do so as well.