[SciPy-dev] scipy.interpolate.fitpack patch

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Wed Feb 7 09:34:55 CST 2007

John Travers wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have just committed a fix for the problem with the parametric spline fitting.
> So as far as I can tell the new spline module is ready for prime time.
> So I would be very grateful if people can test it!!
> All you need to do is enable the spline module in the sandbox and
> replace any imports from scipy.interpolate with scipy.sandbox.spline.
> Bugs are very welcome!
> Note this module is missing the insert method added recently (thanks
> to Zach) - should be fixed soon.
> Now I can finally pay attention to the interpolation methods. I have a
> new module ready based on radial basis functions that allows n-d
> interpolation of scattered data. I'll be committing it this week once
> I've ironed out a few bugs.
> John

Hi John,

I enabled the spline module.
Here is the output of

python -i

  Found 10 tests for __main__
The coefficients of the spline returned have been computed as the
minimal norm least-squares solution of a (numerically) rank deficient
system (deficiency=7). If deficiency is large, the results may be
inaccurate. Deficiency may strongly depend on the value of eps.
FAIL: check_sproot (__main__.test_UnivariateSpline)
Traceback (most recent call last):
line 104, in check_sproot
    assert_array_almost_equal(uspl.roots(),ex, decimal=3)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/testing/utils.py", line
230, in assert_array_almost_equal
    header='Arrays are not almost equal')
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/testing/utils.py", line
199, in assert_array_compare
    assert cond, msg
Arrays are not almost equal

(shapes (4,), (5,) mismatch)
 x: array([  3.14181593,   6.28332425,   9.42469672,  12.56632768])
 y: array([  0.        ,   3.14159265,   6.28318531,   9.42477796,

Ran 10 tests in 0.028s

FAILED (failures=1)