[SciPy-dev] Proposal for more generic optimizers (posted before on scipy-user)

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Thu Mar 8 08:07:12 CST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Matthieu Brucher apparently wrote:
> The purpose of this list was to not make a test inside the
> iteration loop.  In the first idea I had, a test was made
> to know if the parameters were to be saved or not. I'm
> balanced between the two solutions.

You can skip a test inside the loop
and use a default method that is always called.

        def record_history(self,etcetera):

Allow alternative functions to be passed by the user as part
of the Optimizer object initialization so that overriding is
not necessary.

Of course the 'etcetera' part is important ...  I can
imagine wanting lots of pieces of the history.

Alan Isaac