[SciPy-dev] swig dependency

Thu Oct 4 21:16:23 CDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> Jarrod Millman wrote:
>> On 10/4/07, Christopher Hanley <chanley@stsci.edu> wrote:
>>> I see that the latest revision of scipy (r3410) now has a swig
>>> dependency.  What version of swig is now required?  I am unable to build
>>> scipy with swig version 1.1 (Patch 5).
>> SciPy has required SWIG for at least a year.
> That's not entirely true. The UMFPACK bindings are optional, and sparsetools has
> the generated files checked in so that no one except those modifying those
> wrappers needs to have SWIG installed. Checking generated files into source
> control is somewhat icky, but so is having to answer this question over and over.
Something which may be nice, but I don't know if it is feasable, would
be to regularly test whether the files can be regenerated. For example,
when I wanted to improve scipy.cluster, I could not make swig work at
all, and I ended up rewriting the whole thing in plain C (the module was
really small). I am afraid that if generated code stays for a long time
without being regularly updated, nobody will be able to work on it anymore.