[SciPy-dev] openopt (prelimenary) announce

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Thu Sep 6 16:50:30 CDT 2007

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007, dmitrey apparently wrote:
> so, despite I insisted optimizers remain also as separate
> package, the idea of merging optimizers(/GenericOpt) to
> openopt, as I suppose from the very beginning, wasn't the
> best one, partially because they serves different goals
> and different motivations.

On the contrary, I think this was a very good decision.
OpenOpt gains pure Python solvers, and GenericOpt gets
extensive use, testing, and code contributions.

> we could make 2 announcements: one of openopt release and
> one of optimizers/GenericOpt.

Since they share a location, a joint announcement seems
appropriate.  I'll post one to this list, and you and
Matthieu can react.

> in any way, I don't mind if Matthieu want to continue host
> a part or all his code in /solvers/GenericOpt and
> /solvers/optimizers directories as it is now).

That is good. But in any case, such decisions are to be made
by the SciPy development *community*, hopefully on
a consensus basis.

I'm not going to respond in detail to the other message
parts, other than to say I do not really see any problem
**except** for the problem about ensuring that expectations
between mentors and students are aligned when the GSoC
projects *begin*.  I learned a lot about that this summer:
it is easy for people to assume they share a common
understanding when in fact there are some very fundamental
differences in expectations.

I guess I would add my opinion that the most important thing
is the BSD license, not who holds the copyright.  However to
correct an impression you seem to have: as far as I am
aware, neither Jarrod nor I ever suggested that you give up
your copyright.  We simply insisted that you treat your GSoC
project as what it was: an opportunity to participate in and
contribute to SciPy **community**, under the BSD license,
while interacting with a group of developers from whom you
can learn a great deal.  To participate in a **community**
is to treat many decisions as **joint** as to accept and
indeed welcome the contributions of others to improving the
scikits code base, including the parts you have been most
involved in.

Alan Isaac