[SciPy-dev] Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested] <--

Christopher Burns cburns@berkeley....
Fri Apr 11 03:28:01 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted@gmail.com>

I have to agree with this - as a relatively new contributor to
> numpy/scipy, I am never sure I know where and how a function I want to
> modify is used. It would be easy for me to make some
> apparently-sensible change that breaks all sorts of code, within
> numpy/scipy and in users' applications. The fact that there are
> extensive unit tests means that I can more or less go ahead and make
> the change; if it passes all tests I'm pretty sure I didn't break
> anything old. In short, I find that having extensive unit testing
> makes it easier for new contributors to add code.

I'd add, extensive unit testing is great, but ANY testing is better than

Christopher Burns
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley
phone: 510.643.4014