[SciPy-dev] Warning about remaining issues in stats.distributions ?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Dec 2 22:12:58 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:06 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are still some known failures or methods, that don't work very
> well for some distributions:
> * skew. kurtosis: a few remaining incorrect results, no exact test available
> * entropy: returns nan in some cases, correctness of values not tested
> * fit: does not converge, or does not estimate correctly for some distributions,
>       this is expected since maximum likelihood does not always work
> * distributions that have problems for some range of parameters
> * incorrect random number generator for one discrete distribution
> Is it useful to put a warning about these issues in
> stats.distributions in the release?

It would be great to add something like this to the docstrings (as
long as you weren't proposing to raise a warning).

> Per Brodtkorb has an improved version of distributions.py with an
> additional estimation
> procedure, which we can discuss as an enhancement after 0.7 is out of
> the way, if there is
> an interest in this.

That would be great.  Once I create the 0.7.x branch, the trunk will
be open for 0.8 development.  Hopefully we can get this in ASAP in the
0.8 development.

Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley
phone: 510.643.4014