[SciPy-dev] Status of weave

C. Ball ceball@users.sourceforge....
Thu Jan 17 10:09:54 CST 2008

Jarrod Millman <millman <at> berkeley.edu> writes:
> As far as I know, no one is answering this question about development
> plans for weave because no one has plans to further develop weave.

Thanks for the information.

Weave is important for our software [1], so we'd like to try to work
on this problem.

Before we start, any example of an existing converter of this type -
or some guidance about where to start in the weave code - would be
very helpful.

Presumably the required additions will be quite small: All we need to
do is allow conversion of dtype='O' (as indicated by the example and
error given earlier [2]), since looping through a list of objects, for
instance, is already no problem [3].

Thanks again,

[1] Topographica (topographica.org) - a package for computational
    modeling of neural maps

[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/14642

import weave

def test_list_loop(alist):
    Loop through alist (assumed to be 2D), setting 'through_loop' to
    be True on every item.
    rows,cols = len(alist),len(alist[1])

    code = """
        for (int r=0; r<rows; ++r) {
            PyObject *alistr = PyList_GetItem(alist,r);
            for (int l=0; l<cols; ++l) {
                PyObject *cf = PyList_GetItem(alistr,l);

class SomeObject(object):

list_of_objects = [[SomeObject(),SomeObject(),SomeObject()],